Sunday, October 11, 2009

Celebrate Columbus Day by Working

While the Kings play the NY Islanders on Monday October 12th, 2009 at 11am PST, I'll be at work, doing work stuff, not enjoying my day as I think about how much it sucks to be not watching a Kings game because I'm working on Columbus Day, technically a Federal Holiday.

The NHL shouldn't schedule afternoon games that fall on Federal Holidays that aren't Real Federal Holidays. Columbus Day? Puh-lease.

People will still go to the bank and/or post office not realizing that it's a "holiday". The bus and rail lines will operate on regular schedules. I and all other non-federal employees will have to go to work. This isn't baseball, this isn't Christmas, this isn't even MLK day. An NHL game on Columbus Day should still be played in the evening. Screw you Bettman for making yet another NHL game inaccessible to the masses who enjoy watching a game live.

*P.S. I'm not against Columbus Day, I just think it's funny that people are so against it. I'm all for more holidays, I just wish all Federal Holidays would be mandatory paid holidays for all employers.

2 comments:

Brad said...

It was "Kids Day" or something like that at Nassau Coliseum. Even though the arena was about half-full, a vast majority of the attendees were under the age of 13. This is one instance where I'd be a bit hesitant to join the Bettman-bashing.

k.m.stiles said...

thanks for the heads up about 'Kids Day'! However, I think that's good marketing by the NYI, trying to do something to draw a "decent" crowd for an afternoon game on a half-assed holiday.

If the majority of the NHL games on that day were also 'Kids Day' or another unifying celebration then I would tip my hat to Bettman. But considering only Boston/Colorado had an afternoon game and all the others were at regular times, I was and still am annoyed with the NHL for the scheduling.