Sunday, June 28, 2009

2009 NHL Entry Draft

I really wanted Brayden Schenn to be a King when I saw him sitting with his brother during the 2008 Draft. The analysts talked a bit about the younger Schenn and how he would definitely be a good pick in 2009. With the Kings in the 5th spot there wasn't much hype surrounding this year's draft so I hardly paid much attention to it. I figured the Kings wouldn't be able to draft Tavares or Hedman so I'm glad they were able to snag Schenn (and hopefully piss off the evil Burke).

According to the Kings report:

In 70 games with Brandon, the native of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, scored 32 goals and 56 assists for 88 along with 82 minutes and an impressive plus-20 rating. Schenn was outstanding in the postseason, totaling 8 goals and 18 points in 12 playoff games. He also earned a reputation as a standout two-way player with the kind of game that can succeed in the playoffs -- something the Kings haven't made since the 2001-02 season.




In the Kings Q&A with Schenn he described what he can bring to the team:

A two-way game. I am a forward who has some grit and I see the ice pretty well. The main thing is that I play physical. I bring an all-around game.


So far there's no indication that he's a shoo-in for the '09-'10 roster but he's someone who can develop into a player that the Kings need, a solid two-way forward who can score. The Kings have definitely placed a large emphasis on defense and some players (*cough* Frolov *cough*) were essentially punished for not playing defensively enough.

No comments: