Saturday, March 22, 2008

HANDZUS!

I had absolutely zero expectations as this game started today but I was filled with frustration. I was annoyed that the game was at noon, smack dab in the middle of the day. I was annoyed that the freakin' gardeners were back for the second day in a row. I was annoyed that the season is still going on and my Kings have no hope of making it to the post season....again. I was annoyed because I did my taxes last night and things are NOT looking good. I was annoyed because Crow severely mixed up the lines in the last game and I was dreading what was in store today.

I let out a sigh of relief when the game started and I saw the lines. Finally, the top line is actually a number one line: Kopitar-Brown-O'Sullivan. The second line was just fine as well: Frolov-Cammalleri-Armstrong. The remaining two lines were just...there.

Let's fast forward to the third period. Dallas 2, Kings 1. I had to run an errand and didn't want to wait till after the game (again, I HATE games that start before 3 pm.) I had every intention to record the game just in case the Kings got down by 4 and then won the game in OT. However, as I drove away I realized that I completely forgot to record the game. I turned the game on the radio and eventually heard HANDZUS score a goal! I was so excited that my boy ZEUS finally got another goal. The last time he scored was Dec 17th! Lubo immediately put my boys up by one goal and then I reached my destination. I had a good feeling about the game since there wasn't that much time left so I figured the Kings won 3-2, maybe 4-2 with an empty-netter.

I checked the score when I came home and saw we won 4-2, but the last goal wasn't an empty-netter! And to make things even better, HANDZUS scored again!!! WTF?! All season long I've been his biggest advocate. I don't know why I like him but I've been saying this entire time to just give him some time and he'll come around. But, I'll be honest. During today's game, feelings of disappoint came over me when I saw Handzus on the ice. It was like I was disappointed in him for proving me wrong, disappointed that he couldn't be that third line presence that scores and enforces the whole "scoring by committee" philosophy. I finally began to doubt Lombardi's reasoning for signing him, especially to a multi-year contract. But then, as if Handzus had heard my thoughts, he came through and helped the Kings defeat the Dallas Stars. I hope this game doesn't become like Nagy's hat-trick game, an ultimate high followed by some lows and a great disappearing act. I hope this two-goal game sparks Handzus's confidence and scoring touch even if it is for just a couple more games. He'll finally have a full healthy season behind him and if anything, I hope this is just a preview of what we'll see next season.


(AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)
I love you, Handzus!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh that game was so painful from my end lol