Saturday, April 5, 2008

Analysis of My Season Predictions

I think it's ridiculous when analysts make predictions before a single game is played. I always hate it when they come back at the end of the season and say, "SEE, I WAS RIGHT! IN JULY I PREDICTED [insert team name] WOULD WIN!!"

Two seasons ago P asked me what my predictions were before the season began. I said I don't make predictions because (a) I don't know enough about each team before the season begins and (b) I think it's pointless. But I made predictions anyway and was way off. I even had the Kings going to the playoffs (haha!) but I made that prediction more because I really wanted them to advance and not because I actually thought they had the talent. I wish I still had the post but it was on my other blog and I deleted all those posts.

I made predictions before this season because I think it's fun. I also always enjoy seeing how poorly I did. No, I did not have the Kings qualifying this year. I finally got my head out of my ass and didn't let emotions get the best of me. Here's my 2007-2008 NHL predictions post. And if by chance I do really well, it's all because of luck.

Let's see how far off I was. I made predictions about which teams would qualify for the postseason in no particular order. A "(N)" is placed next teams that did not qualify.

Eastern Conference Predictions
Carolina (N)
Tampa Bay (N)
Ottawa
Toronto (N)
Buffalo (N)
NY Rangers
Pittsburgh
New Jersey

I was 4/8, which I think anyone could achieve. I think it also shows how little I know about the East. I had no idea the Southeast Division was going to be so weak and that only ONE team would advance to the postseason. I didn't think Washington had a shot in hell of making the playoffs but they've turned things around, which gives me hope for the Kings. I don't know what the deal is with Carolina. They have a decent roster, why can't they win? How did they lose 3 of their last 4 games to shit the bed and miss the playoffs? I don't know what I was thinking when I picked TB to advance. Watching them in last year's playoffs should have been a clear indicator that things were only going to get worse. I also don't know why I thought Toronto would make it...probably because I didn't think Boston was going to clinch a spot or that Montreal would bust out of the woodworks.

Western Conference Predictions
Calgary
Vancouver (N)
Colorado
Detroit
St. Louis (N)
San Jose
Anaheim
Dallas

I guess Andy Murray is still having difficulty coaching a team to the playoffs. I thought for sure they would be in but maybe it'll take another season or two. I'm absolutely shocked that despite cleaning house, the Nashville Predators were able to hold onto a playoff spot. However, unless Detroit gets super cocky I don't see the Predators making it past the first round. Vancouver will have to have a busy off-season if they want to stay competitive and qualify next season. I think I picked Vancouver to make the playoffs and not Minnesota because of goaltending. I wasn't (and still am not) familiar with either Backstrom or Harding but they've done a fantastic job this season.

I think next season's playoffs will have some new faces. Hopefully the Kings will finally extend their season and I think the Blackhawks could make it as well. Phoenix is also on the rise and despite an unlucky run of injuries, the Oilers weren't knocked out of the playoff hunt till late in the season.

Check back soon for my playoff predictions!

No comments: