Saturday, October 9, 2010

2010-2011 Kings Season Begins and My Work Life Goes to Sh*t

I've ignored the Kings since the Canucks bounced them out of the playoffs last season.  But it's hockey season now and it's time for me to stop stressing out about work and start paying more attention to my beloved Kings.

Oh hockey and the Kings, how I've missed you.  I tried to keep my cool throughout the game, to see how long I could go without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack.  I made it to the third period before I began to panic when I realized that the Kings needed to start getting some quality scoring chances and then I began wondering about the NHL record for number of games a team went without scoring their first goal.  Why did I get so negative?  It's only the first game!

But I forgot how frustrating it can be to watch Stoll; how is it possible for him to miss the net that many times??    I gasped every time the Canucks had a shot on goal, cursed at the token Russian for taking another penalty and tried to come to terms that Brad Richardson is on the second line.  Second, people, second!

I made it to overtime before I started being the coach, yelling at Murray for putting Stoll on the 4-on-3 power play instead of Jack Johnson, who has a much better shot, destroyed the Canucks with Doughty on the power play during the playoffs last year and can at least shoot the puck on net!  I almost broke my coffee table I was in such a fit of rage over Stoll's ineffectiveness on that crucial man advantage.

But thank goodness Kopitar was available for the shootout despite getting sliced in the face by a stick in the second period and getting stitched up to look like the joker.  The Kings had a 10-8 record in the shootout last season so hopefully this SO win is a sign of good things to come.

I expect a lot from the Kings this season after they finally got into the post season last year.   You'd think I wouldn't be able to get enough Kings news with the potentially awesome season they could have, but I've been so apathetic the past several months telling myself that I'm too tired after work or too busy during work or lunch to think or read about the Kings.  I don't like the feeling of not knowing who some of these players are and not knowing how their competition looks.   But now that the season has started, "there just isn't enough time" is not an excuse I'm willing to allow myself to use.  I've been the obsessed with the Kings for so long and this season is definitely not the time for me to start caring any less.  I just need to figure out how to balance my work life and my Kings life.

Now it's time for me to figure out who the heck Jake Muzzin is.

No comments: