Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's Too Early in the Season

Puck Daddy linked to the "Jonathan Quick of the Kings leads the Vezina Watch" article from The Hockey News and my first instinct was "Are you kidding me?  The Kings have played 4 games!"  I think it's a little early to start talking about the Vezina.  

In defense of Quick, he has been pretty awesome in his three starts.  And to quote my hermano: 

Quick is seriously the best goalie we've had since Kelly Hrudey.

He's improved so much since last year and now that Bernier is backing him up he won't have to worry about playing 90% of the games this season.  It's been a long time since the Kings have had solid goaltending and it is still really early in the season, which may be why I still freeze every time an opponent gets a shot on net and why I cringe when I hear people talk about how amazing Quick has looked so far.  It's like I'm worried all this praise is going to somehow jinx Quick and the Kings.  

Four games in and the Kings do look good, except for maybe their power play.  The top line has points, secondary scoring is there, the penalty kill is killing it, goaltending looks pretty solid, but let's be real....it's only been 4 games.  Let's just see how the first month of hockey goes before we start talking about possible trophy winners and then how about we wait till December or January before we start discussing the playoffs.  

No comments: