Sunday, April 10, 2011

Playoffs!!! Yay?!? I Guess

What a difference a year makes. One year ago I was so anxious for the playoffs to start. I spent a ton of money on playoff tickets for every single home game and I didn't care one bit about how much it cost me. I probably would have spent three times the amount, because F*ck It, I was going to a Kings playoff game for the first time ever! EVER!! I had sorta budgeted for it, but in actuality I probably only had enough saved for two games. Probably a good thing the Kings didn't make it past the first round.

This year....totally different story. Before playoff tickets went on sale J-Dubs went down with a shoulder injury. Then Kopitar and the entire Kings fan base cried in agony when he broke his ankle.

(photo by Michael Zampelli)
Oh Shit. Oh Shit. Oh Shit. Oh Shit.

 And Dustin Penner-Squee/Mania/Tration has only 2 goals since he came to the Kings; recently he's looked a lot better on the forecheck, but he needs to score some freaking goals! I also opted not to buy the full playoff ticket package so I was in a bit of sticker shock when I realized how much the individual tickets cost. And to top it all off, I might have work obligations in the evening that may conflict with one or two games. Now that the matchups have been set and I know the Kings will face the Sharks in the 1st Round, I still have not purchased any playoff tickets. And I feel like a horrible fan when I say "I may not go to a playoff game because I don't think it's worth it to spend all that money just to see the Kings lose". Yep, I said it.  And the crazy thing is I actually saved for playoff tickets this year, but now I'm being a scrooge and every time I watch Penner attempt a fancypants pass or Ryan Smyth gets completely outworked along the boards or Kevin Westgarth play more than 5 minutes or Jack Johnson or Drew Doughty cough up the puck, which then leads to a goal, or Jonathan Quick looks uncharacteristically soft, I have no desire to part with my hard earned money. I'm also really disgusted that the Kings lost 3 out of the 4 last games to end the season. They got blown out by San Jose, barely pulled out a win against Phoenix (to miraculously clinch a playoff berth), didn't show up on the road against the Ducks, and could not figure out how to beat Dan freaking Ellis to close out the season. The power play has looked piss poor the entire season and it became even more excruciating to watch the Kings man advantage yesterday.

By the way, the fake Dan Ellis twitter feed is hilarious:
@fakedanellisSo Emery can just take time off whenever he wants? That dude is spoiled.

I know I should have faith in my team and support them by buying playoff tickets, but I'm disgusted and frustrated with the lack of offense and terrible power play. I know I should say #IStillBelieve, but I don't. I'm just glad the Kings don't have to face the ginger twins in the 1st round again this year. I feel pretty confident that the Sharks will advance to the second round; I just hope the Kings can eek out at least one win.

2 comments:

Denora said...

This. Exactly this. I was so bummed last year that I couldn't afford to make it to a Kings playoff game. This year, I can. And yet I don't want to. They've played SO badly recently, it makes me a little sick. And I feel ashamed for not wanting to be there during the playoffs, but really I have better things to do with my money than watch them if they're not going to step it up. I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

Marie said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I feel horrible saying it, but it's true. I'm glad they made the playoffs, otherwise it would have been a huge disappointment if they didn't qualify, but I already feel like they've been eliminated based on the way they've played the past week.