Tuesday, June 19, 2007

LA Kings 2005 Draft Part 1: Who? Why? Where is He Now?

It’s about time we got to the 2005 Draft! I thought this day would never come. We’ve suffered through failed first round picks, a myriad of Euro players who chose not to come to this fine country, or even continent, and far too many permanent full-time minor leaguers. Here is the list of the LA Kings draft picks from the 2005 Draft:

  1. Anze Kopitar (R1)
  2. Dany Roussin (R2)
  3. TJ Fast (R2)
  4. Patrik Hersley (R5)
  5. Ryan McGinnis (R6)
  6. Josh Meyers (R7)
  7. John Seymour (R7)
In the weeks and days leading up to the 2005 draft, I had read that Anze Kopitar was the number one ranked European. His name stuck in my head but little did I think that the Kings would be able to snatch him with the eleventh overall pick. He did spend the following year playing in Europe but apparently the Kings were well aware of his plans either before or immediately after they drafted him. They didn’t think he was ready to immediately start in the NHL anyway, so at the time it didn’t seem like a big deal. When he came to the 2006 training camp, it was still questionable whether or not he would make the final cut. Throughout the training camp and preseason, Crawford and DL were quick to say that they didn’t want to rush him. But lo and behold, he made the final roster, schooled Chris “can you hear me whistling through my teeth” Pronger and scored two goals in the first game of the season, and became an instant fan favorite. Crow is quick to point out that the Slovenian Sensation is a son of a coach and quickly takes in coaching advice. I could go on and on about why Kopitar is so amazing, but the two things about him that I like the most are (1) he’s the light at the end of the Kings’ long dismal tunnel, which brings hope and excitement to Kings fans and (2) he looks like he’s having so much fun playing and his enthusiasm for the game makes me more excited to watch him and the Kings.

Writing about Kopitar put me in such a good mood. I don't want to ruin my mood so I’ll write about the remaining draft picks tomorrow along with the 2006 Draft.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered adding the Online Kingdom to your list of sites?

Marie said...

No, because I don't really like the layout of the website. It's not a site that I visit on a consistent basis.

Anonymous said...

If you haven't looked at it in a couple of years, I'd agree with you. But even if you don't like the appearance of the site, they've had solid stories on the Kings for years...longer than any of the other sites you've listed. FWIW.

Anonymous said...

Well, longer than the other non-commercial sites, anyway.