Friday, December 14, 2007

Dec 13th: Kings 1, Dallas 4

Well, this post is a tad bit late...

My prediction for Thursday night's game was Dallas 3, Kings 0. I was correct on the goal differential but the final score was 4-1 Dallas. I only saw the first period when I was at my fabulous gym that has a mini tv on each cardio machine...seriously, how sweet is that? (oh, and my gym membership is $29/month!) I will now be able to watch a least part of the early games instead of only catching the last few minutes. Watching the first period while working out was actually quite stressful considering I usually like to scream at my players and I couldn't exactly act like I have a severe case of Tourette's while I was at the gym.

The Kings started the game looking OK. They were playing smart defensively but couldn't build up any sustained offensive pressure. I think we had maybe one or two solid scoring chances before Dallas even had one shot on goal, but we should have had more. We had one power play early in the game but could barely even keep it in the offensive zone. Things looked ok for the first half of the period but looking "OK" is not going to cut it against Dallas.

As the seconds ticked off without a Dallas shot on goal I steadily became more worried. Why is it that when a team is held scoreless for an extended length of time it usually only takes a couple shots for that team to score? I thought Dallas' first shot was going to go in as Matty Norstrom fired the puck from the blueline. We may have stopped the first shot but we let in the second shot. After Dallas got one goal on two shots the Kings were never in the game for the remainder of the first period. We looked lost, tired, helpless. Quick made some unbelievable saves and Dallas outright missed the net on one chance that I thought was going to be a definite goal. When one minute was left in the first period I was just praying that we could get out of the period down by only one goal. We were lucky to have only let in one goal but I knew we were doomed for the rest of the game. Miraculous third period? Not a chance.

Since I wasn't able to catch the final two periods I can't comment for how close the game actually was compared to the final score. Looking at the boxscore it's unfortunate that Kopi wasn't able to extend his scoring streak to 9 games. With an assist Handzus is now on a mini streak (points in 4 of the last 5 games), although since I mentioned it I'm sure that will come to an end after Saturday's game. Another goalie was pulled with the roles switched from Wednesday night's game. Is LaBarbera healthy yet? Has anyone speared Smyth yet?

In other news...
Bob and Jim talked with DL during the first intermission. They discussed the recent announcement of three Kings prospects being named to Team Canada in the 2008 IIHF World Junior Championship: Baby Bernier, Wayne Simmonds, and Thomas Hickey. A fourth Kings prospect, Oscar Moller (a.k.a., Ales Hemsky's twin), will play for Team Sweden.

DL mentioned that Wayne Simmonds practically came out of nowhere to impress a lot of people. If I remember correctly he said that apparently Simmonds was playing for a team that wasn't very good (Owen Sound Attack) but was playing very well (39 points in 29 games). He was recently traded to a much better team (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) and is now getting a ton of exposure. Then DL admitted that Bernier had been "God awful" (seriously, exact quote) after he was sent back down to Lewiston. Ron Hextall went down there and spoke to Bernier about needing to step it up and now he here is getting named to Team Canada.

Oh, and as if you needed another reason to squee over Baby Bernier, recently he started a fundraising program, Bernier's Saves to Remember, to raise money to help find a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Bernier will donate $8 for every save he makes during the remainder of the Lewiston '07-'08 season. I'm always amazed when people (especially young adults) start up new programs to fund charities because even though I consider myself a nice, caring person I'm just not a huge charity/fundraiser participant I'll give money...I just don't actually take the initiative.) You're judging me aren't you? I mean, c'mon think about it. What were you doing when you were 19? I know what I was doing. I was honing my beer pong skills and perfecting the walk of shame. Whatever, don't hate.

Next up: Kirsten and her Minnesota Wild!!! ooohh, the Wild and Crazy Minnesotoans...Minnesoti? Minnesotaians? eeek...I'm confused!

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Minnesotans is typically the preferred term I've found. BRING IT! We kicked the shit out of the Ducks yesterday. Have fun at the game!

Kirsten said...

Wait, are you going to the game or just watching? Either way I'm jealous.